Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Confessions of a Mommy on a budget

I bought a pair of black, leather, full-calf, heeled boots today. I've been coveting the ones several of my friends have been wearing the whole winter season. But, alas, I haven't had the green to splurge on such a frivolous purchase. Besides, as Charlie Brown would point out, I already have 3 different pairs of black heels - sensible square pumps, patent leather slingbacks, and my summer mulies; all dear friends of mine, just at different times of the year and with certain outfits. You know how it is.

Last night, we received our escrow surplus refund from our former mortgage company...
but, don't get too excited, most of that is earmarked for bills.

So, this morning, I had to pick up some office supplies for work...and Kohl's was right there. I had a few minutes, so I perused the clearance racks quickly. I found that all of the really nice scarves, hats, and gloves were marked down to a final clearance price of $3. Score! Christmas 2006 shopping done, inexpensively, for one of the lucky women on my list. I then mosied on over to the shoes section. Kohl's shoes in general are more expensive than I typically allow myself to spend - I'm really tight with money when it comes to myself.

There, in the clearance section, were the boots I have been wanting...
beneath a sign that said 85% off! They were my size! Enter giddiness, when I see they are normally $70 and are marked down to $15!!! I didn't even think to do the math and figure whether $15 was 85% off of $70 - they were exquisitely affordable, and nice quality too!

So, the blissful nirvana that finally hit me occurred at the register, when said boots rang up at $7.50! All final clearances were an additional 50% off. I'm in love....and Charlie Brown will be too....I know how his mind works ;-)

1 comment: