Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spiritual Warfare

Satan's pretty crafty, but he always ends up making the same, horribly unoriginal mess in other people's lives. It makes me sad, warrior-ish-ly (no, it's not a word, I just made it up in my 11:33 stupor - it's MY blog after all!) angry, and ready to fight him. Not alone though.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil - FOR YOU ARE WITH ME!

I prayed this tonight, regarding two of my dear friends' marriage. One walks through the valley of the shadow of her marriage's death, trying desperately to fear no evil. She knows that God is with her, and the legions of supporters she has (even if they don't totally get it) do too. The other is walking through the valley of the demonic shadows of sexual addiction, less confident and shaking in his boots like the terrified child within. His faith is being tried here, and the more he tries to do this on his own, the less certain he becomes about whether God is with him. I'm praying that his heart increases in repentance, allowing his eyes to lock into the Light of the Lord, and follow it out of this terrifying valley.

Continued prayers of protection are uttered for their three precious little girls. They make my heart well with joy as I see them weather this storm with relative ease. It's proof our prayers are being heard.

For those who don't know much about sexual addiction, here are some terrific resources:

Dr. Doug Weiss

Dr. Pat Carnes

Consequences of Sexual Addiction

It's not like lust is a new drug in Satan's bag of tricks...but the concentration of sex in our technologically driven society has opportunities everywhere, tv, movies, video games, stores, commercials - and now with cyberspace, lust has morphed into the emotional drug which is, from what I've seen, about as tough to kick as methamphetamines. It's horrible.

And, it's personal. You see, Charlie Brown has faced this struggle as well. I'm remembering the pains from the lowest points in our lives, and it flat out stinks. Worse yet, I hate that Satan's laughing at us all as he stirs the pot in our church family.

But, to quote Superchik:
"We're not done yet
Not going quietly into the night,
Not me and my friends..."

No comments:

Post a Comment