Thursday, May 31, 2007

According to my Dr....

My blackouts last weekend were flukey.

I thought perhaps that extreme sinus pressure + altitudinous travel could = a pseudo-aneurysm.

But...Dr. A thinks not.

Her checklist of questions, after I explained pretty much what I said on here:
  • Have you had migraines before? Yes
  • Was the headache similar? Not at all - very fleeting pain and nowhere near crippling
  • Did you do the Valsalva maneuver? Yes - it didn't change anything
  • Was the blackness in one eye or both? Both - it was creepy
  • What had you eaten immediately preceding the blackouts? Nothing - it was at first rising in the morning
  • How's the sinus pressure now? Well, just allergies and postnasal drip, but not stuffy and miserable like I was

To which she said, "Well, it's not migraines, and the lack of reaction to the Valsalva maneuver tells me it wasn't a BP issue - especially when it happened again while you were standing up... The blackness in both eyes tells me it wasn't a stroke or anything neuro. Most likely it was a result of low blood sugar at waking combined with being so sick."

Then she says, "If it happens at all in the next two months, you need to come in."

Ok, doc, will do.

2 comments:

  1. How scary for you! Hope it doesn't happen again! Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went to the doctor!!

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete