Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lucky Number 13

I hit 13 wks pregnant yesterday, or as Punkinhead would say, last day.

I'm tired, y'all.

Pregnancy with the other two was always easy, it was what came next, motherhood with a baby ex-utero, that was hard!

This pregnancy has been rough on me. First it was the incessant itching on my palms and feet - and the ICP scare that that suggested. Thankfully it turned out to be nothing. Then it was a bit of spotting - which also turned out to be nothing; however, the doc wanted me in stat and that required me taking time off work. Then, for the past week I've had a horrible sinus/chest cold that has me hacking up phlegm and hurling the contents of my stomach subsequently. And a bladder infection. At least the bladder infection was asymptomatic - if it had hurt I would have been a sad, pathetic creature. Which is how I feel most days anyway, lol.

On top of all that, because Punkinhead was born at 36 wks, my OB is REALLY pushing me to take on weekly progesterone injections starting next month. I'm really frustrated by her insistence. I am convinced Punkinhead's birth was due more to Divine Intervention than it was to a medically-induced miscalculation by my body; I did not go into preterm labor, rather my water broke spontaneously and then my body still did not go into active labor even with the aid of pitocin. My insurance's delivery fee was scheduled to go from cheap to sky high effective July 1 - my water broke June 30. Those extra hours that Punkinhead got to stay in utero helped his lungs mature enough for his survival. And we were fine. I shared the whole testimony with her at my last prenatal check up and she still dismissed it, saying that she really wanted to abate the risk of another preterm birth. Whatever. If she insists, then I will insist on seeing if I am carrying twins or a singleton, because there is evidence that progesterone injections do not prevent preterm birth in twins, and I'd rather not inject something if it is pointless anyway. I'm still so sick and tired, and HUGE for this stage in the game that I think it is a possibility - and will want to know for certain before I agree to any poking and prodding!



© 2008 Ramblings of a Red-Headed Step-Child. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Hope you get your way-and that you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, twins! Exciting possibility.
    I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pregnancy is not for sissies, that is for SURE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pregnancy makes everything worse doesn't it? I work for a OB/GYN and we also give 17p here and I have to say that it does work!, but you follow your heart, 36 weeks is a term baby for the most part!!! I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete