Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My First Few Days as a SAHM with School-Agers

Monday was the first day back to school for LMNOB and Punkinhead - my first day as a SAHM without the kids for the bulk of the day.

So I treated myself. It wasn't bon-bons and soap operas, (is that even a relevant diss anymore? I mean who still watches soap operas?) oh no, it was much better than that....

At my going away party last month, some commissioners that my office worked with pitched in and got me a generous gift card to a local spa. Knowing that Monday was my first "free" day, I had booked an appointment when we got home from Christmas.

I chose the Bora Bora package, and threw my facial virginity away. It was GLORIOUS. The only part that was remniscent of my other "first time" was where the lady did the "extractions," which is basically another word for "let me gracefully pick your zits and blackheads for you." The lady focused on the blackheads on my nose - tricky little suckers that I can never quite get rid of despite scrubs and washcloths designed specifically for exfoliation. Like losing my real virginity, this part hurt a bit, but the rest of it was like heaven. Leisurely lying on a bed with fresh linens against my bare skin is one of my favorite sensations. Added to that were the gentle touch of the aesthetitician's hands working her magic on my face, the warm, lavender and sage infused washcloths to wash each cleanser off, and the micro-dermabrasion massager, which was lovely. Tipping me over into bliss was the massage element of the treatment - neck, shoulders, chest, then the hands and arms, and finally the feet and lower legs - I had to keep from audibly moaning with pleasure. Once my hour was up, we headed over to manicure and pedicure. I left feeling rested, rejuvenated, and pretty - without an ounce of makeup on!

By the time all was said and done, my time at the spa totaled 3 hours and I was then starving, so I took myself out to a yummy Chinese place that we rarely frequent. They make everything to order from scratch, thus it isn't the fastest option for those with hungry children. Then I went home and prepped for a meeting I had with a lady from church who has agreed to host a lia sophia party for me in a couple weeks. Went to her house and got all the goods on the table so to speak and then it was time to pick the kids up from school. Later that night some friends commented on my radiant skin. I still hadn't put makeup on!

Yesterday I didn't do a whole lot. I did take the dogs out for a walk as the morning was GORGEOUS - sunny and bright and warmer than it has been. When I got home, I took a shower and dolled up a bit as Charlie Brown and I were meeting for lunch (found out that morning while trying to fix lunches that we were out of both mayo and jelly - so any type of sandwich was out of the question!). We went to lunch and enjoyed our "date." Then I had to run to the grocery to pick up our lunch staples and some items for dinner, plus the dogs were running low on food, so off to the petstore it was. Got back and unloaded and before I knew it, it was time for the kids to get picked up - Seriously, ladies, where DOES the time go??? LMNOB, Punkinhead and I whipped through the homework, and set to work on our gringo fiesta of a meal that I had planned for the evening: cheese enchiladas and tortilla soup. Mmmmm. LMNOB loves helping me with enchiladas because it is so messy. I love her help because it is kind of labor intensive and 4 hands are better than 2.

At the dinner table Charlie Brown commented, "Doesn't Mama just look beautiful today, kids?" To which LMNOB replied, "Yeah, Mama you have this pretty glare on your skin," and Charlie Brown and I about choked on our beverages, laughing. "Whaaaaaat????" she protested, "It's all shiny and pretty looking on, like, your forehead and your cheeks, it's glare-y!"

"I think the word you are looking for is 'radiant,' LMNOB," Charlie Brown informed her with a knowing smile in my direction.

I smiled and thanked them both, assuring LMNOB I knew what she was saying. I told her that the spa treatment the day before had helped make my skin look so nice.

Later we took some pics - so for all of you who've been asking to see the baby belly, here it is:






I'm a little surprised at how quickly the days go by now - they seemed to crawl when I was working!


© 2008 Ramblings of a Red-Headed Step-Child. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I'm droooooling over your description of the spa day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous!

    And you do look positively radiant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had my first facial over Christmas - and, like you described, it was pure HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete