Friday, April 28, 2006

Thoughts about church

This has been on my heart a lot lately, and some people may be threatened by this non-traditional view I'm having, so rather than speak it, I'm going to blog it....for now anyway.

The other day, my day-care provider, B, and I were talking about our church. B is new to this kind of church, having been raised Lutheran, and is really working to develop a personal faith of her own. Her son is in 5th grade and recently told her he doesn't like the new Sunday school curriculum, b/c it's boring and "just like school." Charlie Brown and I taught his class last quarter, under the "old" curriculum, but know what? We didn't follow it 100%. Instead of focusing our questions and discussions solely around the kids - (which when you think about talking sin and shortcomings to the still relatively black and white thinkers present at ages 10-12, and their desire to please, they're not going to admit ANYTHING!) we prefaced a lot of it with our own struggles and experiences, and as such, got much higher participation from the kids. I guess, from what B told me, the new curriculum for the children's classes are much more worksheet oriented. This is too bad, because how are kids supposed to learn about the relational side of Christ from a two-dimensional sheet of paper? Concept application is not such a strength at this age, and in my opinion, modeling behavior is a much better teacher for this group. I told B that too, asking if she had approached the new children education coordinators about this.

I got to thinking about it, and it seems to carry over into our adult programs too. It being this scholastic, approach to our spirituality at church. Now, I am NOT saying we don't need to study the Word to deepen our walk with Christ - because I wholeheartedly believe that we do.

But...I wonder.......

My church is a particular flavor of Christianity that is relatively young in comparison, to say, the Catholic and/or Anglican churches, and has a vision that seeks to be Bible-based, God and Christ-centered, and resemble the church in the New Testament. All of which are great things in my book.

But then, if we look at how we spend our time together in church on a Sunday morning...
**45 minutes Sunday school - which is usually study, versus personal testimonies
**15 minutes recess/visiting

Our service is typically 90 minutes, and if it's broken down, usually looks like this - in no particular order:

**45 minute sermon
**10 minute announcements/prayer - be with the sick, job-seeking, etc - nothing really personal in most cases
**15 minute communion/offering
**20 minute songs and praise

Out of a weekly 2 1/2 hours, only 35 minutes is active praising the Lord and remembering what He has done for us. 1 1/2 hours is academic study of the Word. A mere 15 minutes to visit (none if you're the mommy like me chasing down kids and finding a place to sit) and be relational with church family. And 10 minutes of business-like prayer.

So, I wonder...did the Corinthians talk at length about the letters they'd received from Paul - to the point that it grossly outweighed their time of fellowship and worship to the Lord? I don't know - but I sure don't picture it that way.

Where is our time of sharing how the Lord has worked in the lives of those beyond the preacher in the church this week?

Where is the confession of sins? By the way, Biblical scholars agree that "The Greek word hamartia is often translated as sin in the New Testament; it means "to miss the mark" or "to miss the target"." So, if we bear that in mind, and also heed James 5:16, shouldn't everyone be going forward to the congregation on Sunday, instead of only those with scandalous secret sins, i.e. adultery, addictions, etc? Somehow it seems people have decided that sin worthy of confession are those which violate a commandment of God, a la the Old Testament - when in fact, anything that misses the mark for God's will in our lives, an unkind word, road rage, bitterness, etc, should be confessed so that we can become better!

Where is the adoration and worship of the Lord, not constrained by time or tradition? Who decided 4 praise songs, 1 communion song, and 1 invitation, or any other "theme" for worship? Where is the priority placed when active worship - read audience participation - accounts for little more than 1/10th of the Sunday service?

I know, I know...we as individuals can increase our worship in our households and personal lives. I just can't explain that connection I feel to the Lord when my spiritual family is communing with me in that process - and would like more of it.

I LOVE my church family - they're my closest friends in the world. And I LOVE our preacher, and the way his sermons steer me to self-examination and motivation, as well as how this exact thing has promoted unity within our body as people are more focused on where their hearts are, as opposed to judging others.

I'm probably one of few who would like to meet longer and more frequently, but in addition to that, I'd like to share more, encourage more, and worship more with my family - and with things the way they are right now - there's just not much time allocated for that. There are so many secret hurts among us, I know, and how do we foster an environment to share, trust, and lean upon each other with such ugly burdens? Certainly not in these tailored services....hurt just doesn't fit that mold, and we're creatures of habit.

5 comments:

  1. I've got lots of comments...

    First, about the elementary curriculum. We get a little sticky there because there are not enough people willing to serve in the capacity of teaching, so I get the feeling that the new stuff is intended to ease as much of the teaching burden as possible to attract more interest. (My opinion: people should be breaking down the doors willing to serve. It's pretty sickening that we have to twist arms and legs just to get someone to cover children's worship.) I think they are doing what they can and maybe we just say "okay, I'll do it" and allow God room to work.

    Second, church stuff. Your thoughts are not new to me. Popular topic of conversation in our home. My opinion: we are too rigid. 3 songs, prayer, welcome, 2 songs, lord's supper, song, sermon, song, prayer... I find nothing wrong with any of these activities, nor do I complain about their order in the worship. My only concern is, have we made room for God this morning? Are we going to spend all of our time learning all we can about Him, instead of experiencing Him with each other? Sticky part there is: we still have very Godly people in the older generations that do not function as I do, nor do they think the same as me. Does that mean their opinions don't matter? No. Does that mean I don't care what they think? No. (on another note...kind of...) I feel it is time for the elders to lead in the direction they have chosen, according to their understanding of God's will, and there may be some folks who disagree, but we can't live to please 3 people out of 300.

    Shepherds decide where the flock travels, not the other way around... I'd better quit and get down off my soap box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, have you been sitting in MY church?? :)

    We've been struggling with the same questions... as a family and as a church. My hubbie is working on getting 'out of the mold' and since 'the mold' is different than how I was raised all I can do is try to push him out faster!! But our church is going through the same thing... is it truly healthy for a church to try to make ALL groups within the congregation happy ALL the time? Believe me, we've tried and its an impossible task.

    So I don't have any answers. I have a suspicion churches everywhere are struggling with the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly, I think all 3 of you are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

    Sunday morning isn't about about our own opinions about worship. The only thing we need to concern ourselves with is how God views worship and are we personally giving Him our undivided attention no matter what kind of style or mode of worship our church engages in.

    And please be very careful how you think about the older people in your church. The Bible makes it very clear that they are to be our teachers and guides because of their age and wisdom. It is very pompous to think that we know better then they just because we're young and they're old. The only biblical model for the aged is to show them honor and respect. Period. They've earned it.

    Wasn't it Elisha in the Old Testament who damned the youths who were then eaten by bears?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Mama of the House,

    It's not so much an opinion of the right way and the wrong way to worship, but rather just my ponderings about where does a personal relationship with the Lord fit into our worship?

    I wasn't judging anyone - nor did I think *I* made any comments about older people and younger people. I'll have you know, that when my daughter was born, I was 21 and very lonesome. My church's older ladies took me in and ministered to me so much, that I have nothing but LOVE and RESPECT for them.

    I would also recommend your advice re: the age issue with youths:
    1 Timothy 4
    Instructions to Timothy
    1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

    6If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

    9This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance 10(and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

    11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete