Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Preacher Challenge

Sunday, the preacher challenged us to consider only good thoughts about our church this week. No grumblings, coulda, woulda shoulda's, no bad whatsoever. Easy enough, b/c we have a terrific church body!

So, my Monday positive: We have a nice balance of old, young, and in between members, conservative and liberal, and it warms my heart to see our worship leaders balancing the song service to meet everyone's needs. (and, being the eclectic sort of music lover I am, I love the variety!)

Tuesday: We have a generous congregation. We have several members who have stepped up to the giving plate when times have been tight for our congregation, or just people in the body. It has always made me smile and think of Acts where the early Christians gave at every opportunity.

Wednesday: I LOVE the belief of my church that we are our own authorities regarding our faith. To elaborate, a pulpit minister is still just a man, and not more/less holy than any one of us in the audience. We are encouraged to discuss differences in interpretation of Scripture with the church leaders, and take responsibility for our walks with Jesus individually.

Thursday: We have been blessed with an amazing senior minister for the congregation. His insights fan the flame within me to be a better Christian. He makes the Old Testament relevant for me. When he came here, just 3 years ago, our church was a very divided and hurt church, and now, we're close and connected - a lot to do with his clinging to Jesus' message of love, hope and self-examination in my opinion. God knew what this messenger of His could do for us, and we are so blessed to have such a knowledgeable, ornery, and loving man as the communicator of our church!

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment