Sunday, May 28, 2006

Ignorance ≠ compassion!

At church today, I was explaining to an older, female, distant relative-by-marriage about the homeless coordinator position. (NOT MIL, note the DISTANT, hee hee)

Said relative is perceived to be notoriously harsh by many in the congregation. Having talked with her about this years ago, she's told me, "I'm not harsh, I just ask questions, I'm curious!"

Well....this may be, but combined with her very direct statements of opinion, tone, etc, those questions tend to put most on the defensive, even me.

No sooner than I explained the position did the interrogation begin.

"You're not counting illegal immigrants are you? I don't believe they should be counted for; they spend enough of taxpayer monies," etc, etc.

I, myself, am torn re: the illegal immigration issue(s), but for the purposes of the count;
#1: I'm not designing the survey nor the the parameters as to who should take this survey, and
#2: It's a homeless persons count, not a homeless citizens count.

I tried to convey points 1 and 2, as well as the fact that this effort is NON-partisan. Then, I redirected with a fact from my previous homeless worker days, "More often than not, in our county homeless persons are actually working poor families."

"Well, those people should be working two jobs."

No, she di-uhn't!! Tell me she did not just say that!

"Some of them are, believe it or not. But, given that our welfare system penalizes, i.e. lowers/eliminates the benefits when there is an income, regardless if it's insufficient to live on, and there are children who are to be cared for in day care, and average market rate apartment housing that requires a minimum-wage earner to work at least 120 hrs/wk to afford, can you really tell me that their problems will all be solved if they just work harder? And that's just the "easy" cases - we're not even talking about the cases where there is a mental illness, post-traumatic stress disorder, domestic violence, disabilities, or addictions, that as much as a person may want to overcome - can't without HELP. It's not always that simple."

Now, I am not for a minute suggesting we as a society erase others' consequences for choices made. But what if we can help mitigate the effects, and meet them half-way, offer them the grace to at least get started on a second chance?

Stereotypes exist for a reason, b/c there is some fraction of truth to them, and this bit of truth makes critical thinking less analytically rational and more emotionally judgmental. In other words, stereotypes are the lazy person's friend when it comes to thinking; the lazy person does no work at all on the thoughts, and instead relies upon a seemingly tried and true categorization of deductions arrived upon a group of persons. Ahhh, but there's the rub....what seems true very often is NOT.

Jesus saw past stereotypes. He saw past the incorrigible prostitutes and depraved tax collectors, and instead saw hearts seeking love and truth in a hurting world. Seek and ye shall find. Both God in the flesh and these hurting people sought something. He sought sinners with a thirst for Truth. They sought answers, and found the One great Answer.

It makes me sad that hearts can be so hard, and minds so lazy that critical thinking is overlooked, compassion revoked. But, as in the apostle Paul's example, all the more, I rejoice. God has given me opportunity to remove barriers and speak truth in this quest for a homeless count. And through that, hearts may be softened, with servants crying out to the Master, "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I have held hatred in my heart towards my brother. Teach me to love as Jesus did....." Please keep me in your prayers...to whom much is given, much is expected. Help me to live out my Father's will.

***btw, older female relative does try to love others, it's just not apparent at first glance. This is where I struggle with stereotypes - as I often just want to write her off as a judgmental legalist, but the Lord keeps showing me, in several dreams of late, that she has a heart for loving...may I always see the good and try to improve on what is lacking, versus fixating on the negative.***

1 comment:

  1. "may I always see the good and try to improve on what is lacking, versus fixating on the negative"

    Well-said. That's something I want to work on, too.

    ReplyDelete