Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Is "Councilor" a word?

Ok...note the "anal retentive" indication on my blog description, re: spelling.

This question was a one-liner e-mail sent to me yesterday by the regional homeless coordinator, referring to my categorization of various City Council Members on my list of county contacts. And, this guy has a reputation for being a real wise a$$. And, when I wrote my introductory letter - which by the way, the STATE adopted as the general template for the homeless count project- he, instead of complimenting me on my obvious masterpiece, simply noted, "Re: that last sentence, the COUNTY is not training anyone." Except that since they pay a quarter of my salary, and I will be training folks, they kinda are. Some competitive tension here? You betcha.

So back to the concern of whether Councilor is a word. I was feeling particularly spunky yesterday, and sent the following back to him:

Indeed it is…

2 entries found for councilor.
coun·cil·or also coun·cil·lor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kouns-lr, -slr)
n. A member of a council, as one convened to advise a governor.
See Usage Note at council.
council·or·ship n.
Source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Please don’t question me on proper spellings and/or verbiages – I am most particular about these things, to the point of the infamous “anal retentive” label ;o) Of course, my hands don’t always coordinate with my brain when it comes to typos.
I’d like to add that typos and crappy spellings, while appearing to be one and the same, are, in fact, entirely different deficiencies.
I’m spunky today…. ;-)

My Name (former child spelling bee champ – Kelso, WA 1989-1991)
Given his smart guy nature, I'd have thought I would have made him laugh; but apparently I made the faux pas of professional e-mails and assumed he got the joking tone I intended.
Oh well, I'm still smarter than him, lol. Neener-neener-neener!
P.S. - this is to be read with sarcasm and a certain amount of facetiousness ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment