Thursday, March 29, 2007

Let the self-doubting begin

Here we are on the eve of the appointments, and I fear that everyone is going to say, "Are you just looking for something to be wrong? She's NORMAL."

I showed Charlie Brown this site, and as he got to the end, LMNOB walked by. On her tip toes, as always.

The pediatrician can vouch for me always asking him to check her tendons regarding the tippy toe walking habit of hers that has existed since she began walking.

I took "Child Exceptionality and Psychopathology" as an undergrad, and since the days when she was a baby, I wondered about SID being a factor when LMNOB was well past colic age and would still cry for hours, unresponsive to any of my attempts to remedy. I always shushed that out of my head, thinking I was reading too much into it. I just convinced myself that was the way she was, and that she just needed TLC.

CB is worried. More so than I've ever really seen him - but that's not saying much, as he is still low-key, though showing a marked deviance from his usual emotional flatline.

So much of it, though, is age-appropriate behavior, this need for consistency and calming routines, the picky eating, etc, etc. I will note that many of the last several fits have been over not getting to go to "Puh-zoli's" (Fazoli's - the really mediocre fast-food italian chain) which is her latest culinary fixation. Other eating obsessions have been ramen noodles and mac'n'cheese - again, age appropriate and completely normal from what I've seen in other kids.

And today? Today she was fine, normally sunshiney LMNOB. She also had PE today, and I told CB after reading that website, that I wished I'd thought to track good days and the correlation to PE days.

Anyway - I'm just afraid. Afraid of there being something, and afraid of there being nothing, wrong.

God, you know the deal. Father please grant me your peace about this and trust that Your hands are guiding the journey we are about to embark upon, whether short or long. Place Your arms around this little angel You've loaned me - help me to be the mother and advocate that she needs, Lord. Help me to remember that we are here in a spiritual battle, and Satan is doing whatever he can to test us and shake this house from faith in You. Help me to rest and receive the strength that You are able to provide me with. Father, just love on us...help me to draw near to you. Thank you for Jesus and the hope that He provides in reconciling us with You. It is through Him that we ask all these things - Amen.

1 comment:

  1. As you probably know, SID was one of the things that was being suggested for Baby E. She shows symptoms of SID when she has gotten exposed to a food that bothers her--it's as though the discomfort she is in makes her avoid stimulation and be unable to respond well to it.

    When I read about SID, I tend to think it all sounds pretty normal for the most part, LOL, because it describes us pretty well (although not to an extreme).

    The two older girls tend to be very bothered by sounds like toilet flushing and M&M in particular is extremely sensitive to smells. As a baby M&M would get so worked up every time there was a slightly harsh noise (like my dad's moderately deep voice, poor guy) or whenever she got hungry that it would take me 20 minutes to get her calmed down enough to nurse or whatever. I had to learn to get myself very, very calm and still to calm her down.

    AJ, around Baby E's age, would get so worked up whenever something startled or upset her that she would go into a fit and pass out. That was scary, LOL, but she seems to have grown out of it now.

    In fact, as an adult I often find myself walking or standing on my tiptoes when stressed, and I get sensorially defensive especially when I don't feel well or am tired.

    I don't think I have SID, but I think we're all on the sensitive end of the normal spectrum. I'll be interested to read about your hourney with this and what you find out. Maybe you can share some tips and ideas I can use with myself and my kids, too. :)

    ReplyDelete