Tuesday, April 10, 2007

You've heard of "Freaky Friday" no doubt...

But what about "Tweaky Tuesday?"

What I mean is that Charlie Brown and I momentarily switched places tonight.

I had to work late, for grants presentations, but had left him a crockpot full of milky, brothy turkey that he needed to add dumplings to for dinner.

I got home around 9:30.

He says, "Did you get my msg?"

"Uhm, no, I turned my phone off so it wouldn't distract the people making presentations."

"You didn't check it after?"

"Nope, didn't think to, sorry. So what's up?"

"Well, after 40 minutes, the dumplings still weren't cooked. So it was getting late and I decided to take the kids out, but then..."

I smirked...almost knowing what was going to be said next.

"I locked my keys in the house. It. was. not. fun."

Poor guy, welcome to my world - sucks, huh?

Insert some brief, conciliatory words from me, and combined laughter here.

In the meantime, I looked around, as he was unwinding with both the TV and the computer...noticing disarray of every sort, dinner's prep dishes still out and dirtied, clutter on the kitchen table, laundry still unfolded, etc.

"Uhm, I don't mean to be mean, but did you do anything while I was gone? I was hoping to not have to come home and work after a long day. I did some chores this morning before I went in to avoid having to do stuff, and was hoping you'd take care of your mess."

He rolled his eyes at me.

Here we go - the typical defensive route, I thought.

Then he began listing all the work he had done.

Ooopsie. I'd become him on a day where I spent hours working on the house only to have him come home and say, "What did you do all day?"

But, I quickly returned to myself, following with the save that is SO not Charlie Brown - an apology:

"Ok, sorry hon, I just pulled a Charlie Brown on you. I hear you did a lot of work, I just didn't see it, and I'm sorry I jumped on you without thinking."

*Smooch*

Maybe it will inspire greater empathy on his behalf. And remind me that seeing what looks like evidence of no work being done can inspire frustration.

Also, I wonder if he put the lid on the crock pot after adding the dumplings. I forgot to ask, and it's probably best I didn't in the event that he made a big operator error, but it sure would explain a lot.....

1 comment:

  1. Well good for you :) Its hard to be the bigger parent sometimes ;)

    And that picture is WAY CUTE!

    ReplyDelete