Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Waxing Heretical

I'm having a serious love affair with the uber worldly lyrics of Maroon 5, particularly this hip, 70's-esque song.

She Will Be Loved, however, evokes mysterious thoughts and contemplations from me that are a most unseemly linkage. The song's obviously about a prostitute, but these lyrics make me think of how Jesus must have felt when He befriended Mary Magdalene:
I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
She will be loved

Sure, this song is about an impossible love affair with a fallen woman - and it implies a sexual relationship, so some of you are thinking, "Heretic! How dare you color my Jesus that way!"

I'm in the camp that subscribes to the "Well, the Bible doesn't actually say He wasn't married, and if He had been, it would have been perfect and pure," theory - but barring the sex stuff of this song, I hear loud and clear a message of acceptance, and an overwhelming desire to make an incredibly broken person feel loved.

That's how I color my Jesus - what about you?

In the meantime, here is the video in all its splendor:

4 comments:

  1. Is that one of those "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with that particular genre, but tell me, is it popular with nuns? LOL...

    I dunno...the whos of my focus here are provocative and are designed to bring people into the discussion - but, my real intent is not to focus so much on the whos as it is on the whats: acceptance, tolerance, and love...somethings I think all Christians - myself included, could afford to have more of in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this is more of a May is my girlfriend song, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure...if you're still going to focus on the whos of it, that would make the most sense.

    ReplyDelete