Friday, February 5, 2010

Turning "To Do" into "Done"

Some people are list-makers, claiming they love the feeling of accomplishment as they cross each "to-do" off.

I love accomplishment. I love feeling like I've done something worthwhile, meaningful, and done them well, no less.

There's the rub, though. That last part - that part about doing something well - it often paralyzes my progress, and usually before any progress has actually been made.

So I might make a list, but when I review it I begin to think, "Oh wow, that is a lot - there's no way it can all get done [perfectly] today." And instead of breaking it down into chunks that are achievable I just spin my wheels in overwhelm - going nowhere. And with that thought the voice of Dr. Phil is cued: "So, uh, how's that workin' for ya?"

It's not. At. All.

My list is so big right now:
  • Spend more time in Scripture/prayer
  • Fix the finances
  • Organize the house and keep it clean
  • Set some exercise goals and attain them
  • Spend more time writing
Among other things.

I've been focusing less on making the lists and more on just doing them. And things are getting done. Please bear with me as things adjust and I acclimate to a more purposeful, regimented routine.

© 2006-present Ramblings of a Red-Headed Step-Child. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment