Friday, March 10, 2006

Origins of the "red-headed stepchild"

Editor's Note: When I started this blog in 2006, I initially titled it "Ramblings of a Red-Headed Stepchild." I changed it several years back to Heather in the Making to more accurately reflect what my writing is all about.

Never once had I thought to research the origin of the phrase "red-headed stepchild," for I thought I knew what it meant and why. My family of origin used this phrase quite frequently, as there are a number of redheads on the maternal side of my lineage, including myself. Apparently, my paternal DNA has a history of red-heads too, but we'll get to that later.

My mother's cousin, Shelly, had hair approximate to the shade of Ronald McDonald's.

Then there was Aunt Ardell, my great-grandmother's sister, who had "peach" hair - as I knew her anyway. -Peach hair is the demise of redheads who age without going gray, and instead go white; it's a curious phenomenon that makes me giggle.

Grandma has always had gray hair, at least that's how my memories serve...but old family pictures show her with hair similar to the color mine's turning out to be; a coppery auburn that is clearly red to some, and only kinda red to others.

Then my son, he's got hair that most would call strawberry, though his older sister, age 5, tells him it's "orange."

Growing up in my family, Shelly received most of the red-headed stepchild comments, and for good cause as she was star of many of the family's memorable moments. Shelly was always pulling practical jokes in public. This often resulted in a family member saying, "Don't look at me, she's the red-headed stepchild!" Most of the time, in this context, red-headed stepchild was meant to equate something akin to the family idiot. Other times, when Shelly embarrassed one of us - often - red-headed stepchild was used similarly to the phrase "black sheep of the family." It was always a good-natured rib at her.

Soon, though, I received the red-headed stepchild brand. In my case it was more literal.

The product of two 16 y/o's who had no business having a child at that point in life, I grew up not knowing my biological father, and Mom quickly moved on to my first stepfather, who was the father of my 3 siblings. I had red hair; I was the step-child of our family - it fit.

Which brings me to my research...

To tell the truth, I only thought to research it because I used it in my blog title! So upon discovering the origins of the red-headed stepchild, I was a little dismayed at the dark connotations...and later, the ironic applicability to my own childhood.

In short, I found the term is often preceded by "I'll beat you like a..." - something that my ears had never heard. Apparently the reasons for the direction of violence toward such a child are attributed to:

--assumed illegitimacy of the red-headed stepchild - the red hair being an obvious indicator of a different father
--the mythic fiery temperament of a red-head combining with the sullen attitude of a stepchild

And perhaps the worst fact about the phrase?
It's interchangeable with the phrase "I'll beat you like a rented mule." Somewhere along the crossroads of societal beliefs and the etymological path, a stepchild became equivalent to an animal loathed by many, used by all.

Sadly, the things that created this phrase did hold true for me while growing up. My stepfather never accepted me, despite his claims that he "loved like one of his own." He was occasionaly abusive and did beat me like a red-headed stepchild.

It's pretty ironic to me now, knowing the history of the term, that what I always thought of as my own superficial, yet literal, label would so accurately describe my childhood...

Any other etymological biographies out there? Hmmm.....

7 comments:

  1. Hey, welcome to the blogosphere! I'm excited to be your first commenter. :)

    Hearing the story behind your username is interesting. There's a story behind mine, too . . . the longer version is linked on my blog, but the Purple Kangaroo symbolizes for me all the crazy and difficult things life can throw my way, and is a reminder to look to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a red-headed stepchild and had a very similar upbringing. It is somewhat reassuring to know there is a kindred spirit, but sad to know someone else had a crappy childhood.
    I still use the name, but like to think of it in a better light. Thanks for posting your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, red-headed stepchild, literally. I suppose it's nice to take ownership of something with a seeminingly 'bad' connotation.

    I'm sorry for your less than glowing childhood experience, but you wrote about it very well.

    Thanks for sending me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally a RED HEADED STEP CHILD too! Seriously!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank you for posting your research. I never heard this phrase until I spent some time in the south and assumed it was a local colloquialism.
    I was working a contract and one day one of my co-workers came into the office in the morning to greet everyone and got involved in some side conversations before greeting me and she appoligized and said, "I didn't mean to treat you like a red headed stepchild," then looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, I just noticed that you're a redhead."
    I wondered what it meant but also thought the incident was pretty comicall.
    I wanted to thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came across the blog while researching the "red-headed stepchild" phrase myself. I had a similar upbringing being the red-headed stepchild and being black with red hair only made things worse. Now, of course, the red hair has grown out and the title has passed to my sister (except the "princess" is certainly no stepchild!)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing this. So literal and stream of thought, I totally understand your journey.

    When I was young I had a fiery red curly afro. The only person in my immediate family with red hair at all, and a not-subtle version of the red hair gene. I was, in fact, the biological son of both my parents, not a stepchild at all. However, as you may have come to know, the term "red-headed stepchild" doesn't necessarily mean the child isn't the biological child, rather that one or both parents see the child as a stepchild because some parents cannot fully appreciate or love a child that looks different than them. Because, sometimes, they even see the child as a different "race" of people altogether.
    My father (a purebred ashkenazi jew) was one of those people. He could never accept me as truly Jewish, or even as his true son, despite me being his biological son, because I looked different. My Catholic mother, whos father had red hair, cherished me and my hair color with all the love in the world.
    I, too, was beaten like a red headed stepchild by my father. I never knew this word or it's meaning until high school, when a teacher laughingly called me a red headed stepchild in front of the class. I had no idea what it meant, I'd never heard it before. But when I read about it later, I knew, I really was a red headed stepchild. That an old outdated saying could be so literally true for me, was just bizarre. I've never spoken about it to anyone my whole life.
    I'm just saying this to add that, you don't really have to be a "stepchild" to be a "red headed stepchild". The truth is throughout history, and to this day, some people want their children to be carbon copies. With red hair, that's not always the case.

    ReplyDelete